Here’s a quick checklist you can use to audit your SEO efforts.
ON-PAGE SEO: MODIFICATIONS TO THE PAGES ON YOUR WEBSITE
- Review web page components to ensure that the keywords are being used in the page title, headings, anchor text, alt text and body copy.
- Make sure the title is unique on every page and is 70 characters or less.
- Make sure the meta-keywords tag focuses on the important keywords for that page. It should contain 10 keywords or less.
- Your meta-description tag should contain marketing text with keyword phrases embedded. It should be 150 characters or less.
- Add a Google xml site map.
- Make sure you use keywords in the link text when linking to pages within your own website.
OFF-PAGE SEO: LINKS FROM EXTERNAL SOURCES
- Make sure all of your web pages are indexed in Google
- Make sure your website is listed in free directories like DMOZ, and ZoomInfo
- Consider reputable paid directory listings, such as Yahoo!, Business.com or industry-specific directories
Organizational Links (.org) are considered to have greater value (i.e. chamber of commerce and other business organizations you belong to)
- Partner Links – exchange links with value-added business partners
- Social Media and Social Bookmarking Links