Here’s a quick checklist you can use to audit your SEO efforts.
ON-PAGE SEO: MODIFICATIONS TO THE PAGES ON YOUR WEBSITE
- Review web page components to ensure that the keywords are being used in the page title, headings, anchor text, alt text and body copy.
- Make sure the title is unique on every page and is 70 characters or less.
- Make sure the meta-keywords tag focuses on the important keywords for that page. It should contain 10 keywords or less.
- Your meta-description tag should contain marketing text with keyword phrases embedded. It should be 150 characters or less.
- Add a Google xml site map.
- Make sure you use keywords in the link text when linking to pages within your own website.
OFF-PAGE SEO: LINKS FROM EXTERNAL SOURCES
- Make sure all of your web pages are indexed in Google
- Make sure your website is listed in free directories like DMOZ, and ZoomInfo
- Consider reputable paid directory listings, such as Yahoo!, Business.com or industry-specific directories
Organizational Links (.org) are considered to have greater value (i.e. chamber of commerce and other business organizations you belong to)
- Partner Links – exchange links with value-added business partners
- Social Media and Social Bookmarking Links
Joni Mueller has been designing web sites for hire since 2003, when she first blew up her web host’s server by insisting on running Greymatter. Since then, Joni has designed for Blogger and Movable Type, TextPattern, WordPress and CMS Made Simple. She lives with her cat and shoe collection in a bucolic old section of Houston called Idylwood. For some strange reason, Joni likes to refer to herself in the third person. When she’s not working on web design, she’s ordering lawyers around. And blogging about it. Or both.